Once your website is built and deployed it will take care of itself, right? Wrong! You face the recurring cost of keeping the website up and operational for your intended audience. There are two types of website maintenance support.
- Maintaining the website code integrity to ensure the website is functioning and displaying like it was intended to.
- Updates to website content such as updating events, merchandise inventory, and adding blog content just to name a few.
A Website is like a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment. Depending on the framework (WordPress, Drupal, and etc) there will be a constant need to ensure plugins, extensions, content, and code is updated to prevent bugs and hacking.
Why do you need framework upgrades?
Websites are like any other software that you use like Microsoft Office, Adobe, and many more that require new versions to fix either security issues or add better features. Therefore, by not updating to the new version a hacker can utilize the security flaw and gain access to your website. Once inside your website they could change functionality, steal personal information, and post content not related to your website.
Why is upgrading your website’s code, extensions, and plugins necessary?
These features are mini-applications that allow your website to do certain task. For example, a website can have a calendar that handles bookings of customer appointments and if it went down customers would no longer be able to book an appointment. Therefore, these mini-applications routinely get updated to ensure hackers can’t gain access to your website and to update the functionality.
What are my options?
- Hire a Web Agency like milMediagroup that can monitor your website make updates for you.
- Have an automatic update service to do the updates for you, but these can be tricky if your site has a bunch of customizations.
- Just forget it and hope the website doesn’t get hacked. Which can result in websites riddled with malicious code or spyware and in need of massive maintenance support, clean-up, and upgrades.
What’s the cost of maintenance?
The routine cost to keep your website functioning it’s best includes;
- Hosting – the service that keeps your files of the website for others to be able to view. The bandwidth you require will determine the prices range of $8.00+ a month to $100.00 a month.
- Domain Name – this is the unique URL or website that a user types in the internet browser to find you which can start at about $15.00.
- SSL (Security Socket License) – is a certificate that lets users know the exchange of information is secure. You know that little lock you see in the left corner of the website address when on a page. Depending on the type you require these can start at $60.00 and go up from there.
- Backups – are your security blanket if your website goes down. How many times have we all been there in life when we wished we had a backup on hand? You can buy a service that backups the website for you and can pay a monthly fee to store them. Another option is to back it up yourself and store locally on your computer, but that eats up hard-drive space. At milMedia, we send backups daily to the cloud and monthly on a local hard drive so you have peace of mind that your website can be retrieved if something did ever go wrong.
What about content maintenance?
Most businesses have an ongoing need to update website content. This could be adding new images, prices, updating events which can get overwhelming when trying to operate their day to day business. By choosing a Web Agency like milMedia we know your business and can schedule content so that you can focus on your business. Costs for these services vary depending on the number of hours your business requires which can range from $300 and up a year.
Why should I purchase a maintenance support plan?
At milMedia, our maintenance support plans are progressive and add more additional perks as you go up in the tiers. We include everything to maintain your website for a monthly cost or yearly annual cost depending on the support your website needs. Each service plan includes backups, updates to the framework and extension, include time for content updates, and a routine monthly report on how your website is being maintained. Our team takes the pressure off you and allows you to focus on your business.
If you are interested in learning more about our plans they start at as low as $25.00 dollars a month and up. Have more questions, call us today!